Business Formations and Transactions in Harlan, Iowa
We regularly advise on the development, formation, and administration of entities for small businesses and family farms. This includes entity selection, registration of businesses, tax planning, and development and drafting of ownership agreements. Good legal and business planning can protect owners from liability, provide for an effective form of governance with multiple owners, help transition businesses among generations, and save taxes and other expenses.
The types of businesses we assist with formation include:
- Limited liability companies;
- Professional corporations and limited liability companies; and
- Nonprofit corporations.
The initial formation of a business involves organizing the business with the Iowa Secretary of State, obtaining a Tax Identification Number, and deciding the structure and governance of the business. Choosing a business entity involves a number of considerations; the National Association of Tax Professionals has drafted this helpful general guide.
Once a business forms, our firm advises clients on developing internal agreements. These agreements, such as an operating agreement for an LLC or a shareholder agreement for a corporation, will ensure that your business properly functions according to your wishes and is protected in the face of lawsuits or other adverse issues. In addition, buy-sell agreements can provide for smooth business transition to future generations.
Once your business is operational, we can help businesses with a variety of ongoing matters, including:
- Hosting annual shareholder meetings and developing company minutes;
- Drafting form contracts for common and repeat transactions, and reviewing other contracts;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating the agreements and other documentation involved in a business transaction, such as asset purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements and security agreements; and
- Dissolving a closing business.